LinuXRoM is a stable custom Xperia Z3 Marshmallow update. It is an Android 6.0 update with all hardware working, and most bugs fixed. In case the procedure isn’t followed right it can lead to one bricking the device. Remember warranty is void upon rooting.
Before installing Xperia Z3 Custom ROM, a few things need to be taken into consideration. First of all, this is a custom firmware which means that the Sony PC Companion will not work. The phone should be charged at least up to 60% to prevent a soft or hard brick. The phone should have its bootloader unlocked. There should also be a custom recovery image flashed. Clockwork Mod (CWM) recovery is a good option to choose. One should have made a previous backup of all files and apps since the flashing process involves factory resets.
Xperia Z3 LinuXRoM, Xperia Z3 Android Marshmallow Google Apps (GAPPS) zip, Sony Xperia M PC USB drivers, (Unlocking bootloader, rooting and installing custom recovery is not explained in this tutorial)
With everything ready, you should be able to install the firmware if you follow promptly.
- Download the Xperia Z3 LinuXRoM and put it in the root of internal storage. Put the GAPPS zip too in the internal storage (Not in any folder)
- Turn off the phone and boot in recovery mode. It can be done easily on Xperia Z3 by booting while holding volume up. One can also boot to recovery via other ways, but this is seemingly the easiest.
- Once in recovery mode, navigate to “wipe data/factory reset” using volume rocker keys. Select using power keys to perform a full factory reset.
- Wipe Cache partition as well. It is also important to wipe Dalvik cache in the advanced menu of recovery mode to prevent the occurrence of boot loops upon flashing.
- Now flash the Rom first by going to “choose zip from sd card” in recovery mode the main menu. Locate the LinuXRoM and flash it followed by the GAPPS zip.
- It is recommended to perform a secondary factory reset before rebooting the phone. The first boot may take longer than usual, but that is perfectly normal. Enjoy the custom firmware.